Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Gas Can

MAINTAINING A FAITH-FOCUS in life is not a problem – at least most of the time! When you know something is right, prepare well, and wholeheartedly begin, you expect to meet your goal. Sometimes, however, the unexpected occurs. Be sure to keep heart!

Some years ago, I was walking for exercise nearby to our house early in the morning. I was praying for folks by name as I walked. Suddenly a man’s voice interrupted, asking if I could spare a couple of dollars for someone who had run out of gas! It startled me! There he stood, expectantly, with a small gas can. He must have sensed my surprise, for He apologized for running out at this time of the morning, then courteously asked what time it was. It was 4:51 a.m. I hesitated briefly, but gave it to him, (reflecting later that I really shouldn’t carry much cash with me at that hour of the morning. An ID and a dollar or two is plenty!)

Eternity alone will reveal what was actually in his heart that morning, but I am now more aware of what was in my own. Caught totally by surprise while I was exercising and praying, I didn’t know what to say, or how to respond, so I had to depend on the Lord. Other times I have not given, because I felt it unwise.

When Jesus went to Tyre, (Mark 7:24-30), he was also living for His Father “in secret”. He also was surprised when a Greek woman of Syrophonecian origin asked for a special favor. He promptly told her of His priorities to meet the needs of the “children” first.

“And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.” (verse 28) She was ready for him! He then answered her request.

I think this illustrates the reward of faith. God rewards secret devotion openly – perhaps the need for gas was authentic? Perhaps that is why I was protected. (I like to think so.)

On the other hand, for all I know he may have had other ideas in mind. He may have been frustrated that he couldn’t pull them off.

Have you ever been caught doing good, but did not recognize it until you saw its product? During the Lenten season, we see Peter’s devotion, but also his failure to see its product when he denied the Lord three times!

This Lenten season, let us not deny the Lord by our lack of faith.

No comments: